Last weekend I joined a whole slew of crazy people and subjected myself to a masochistic ritual known as RAWROD (Ride Around White Rim in One Day). In the simplest terms it is a 100 mile suffer fest across this:
On bikes. All in one day.
Wouldn’t you know…it was SO much fun.
You might ask “how was it riding 100 miles in the desert through incessant dust storms and occasional downpours?” I am so glad you asked.
- When Dug gives you directions to the camp site…it’s a good idea to have a backup source. (Hi Dug!)
- I didn’t realize how much I was looking forward to Kenny’s and Elden’s world famous brats until our batch (the LAST batch) rolled off the grill and into the fire. It was like someone had just kicked my favorite poodle.
- Dug should really invest in a new tent. Aside from one of his poles snapping in the wind, it was making some very ominous noises throughout the night. It sounded like a bunch of Orcs were sleeping over there.
- At mile 40 when someone asks you “what’s the longest you have ridden your mountain bike?” and you answer “35 miles” and then they respond with “just think, you’ve already set your personal best and by the end of the day you will more than double it!” don’t think you’ll be able to take ANY comfort in that. While I really like J Dub, at that moment all I wanted to do was let the air out of his tires. (Hi J Dub!)
- If you ever have to ride your mountain bike 5 miles across a wind blown highway look for two guys who are at least 6 foot 2 with broad shoulders to tuck in behind…that will certainly save your bacon (thanks Dug and Mike). And if you are ever able to return the favor maybe try to do it somewhere other than on the downhill (sorry Dug and Mike).
- I have never been happier to see someone than when DT climbed out of the SAG wagon at mile 50. Talk about a joyous reunion.
- Riding for 75 miles through incessant wind (gusting to 50 mph) will inevitably, at some point in the day, REALLY piss you off.
- Watch out for the wind gusts around the last switchback on Hardscrabble…sheesh.
- If you ever come to a climb called Hardscrabble…you should know by the name it’s going to be brutal.
- If you’ve ever wondered what would hurt worse hitting you at 50 mph: hail or a wall of sand. Let me set the record straight…it’s the hail. For the love of all that’s holy…it’s the hail.
- I’m certain the taste of sand, sweat and phlegm is 100% better than Cola flavored Shot Bloks.
- If you ever thought it would be a good idea to climb up 1,000 feet in just under a mile and to do it at mile 99 of a 100 mile ride…think again.
All in all, it was an amazing day with a really great bunch of people and I think we generated about $1,000 for Kenny’s LAF page to be donated to cancer research…that doesn’t suck.
Morning at the RAWROD camp
Shafer Trail (we end up WAY down there…sucks to be the guy who built this trail on a cliff)
Hey kids, pay attention…this is how NOT to fix a broken chain
This is the face of suffering (thanks for the pic J Dub)
Horsethief – the 1K ft climb at mile 99 (we started in the sunlight by the river below)
Thanks KK for the pic.
Elden also took some great video with his super duper new camera, check it out: Ride Around White Rim in One Day (RAWROD) 2009.
Thanks Kenny for putting this on…what a great day in the desert.